According to the U.S. Bureau of Justice, 57% of successful burglaries happen without the use of force of any kind.
In case you missed that, let me be more direct: nearly two thirds of burglaries happen because a door or window was left unlocked. It was a simple crime of opportunity.
Here are some other facts about burglary:
- The number one stolen item is portable electronics – things like dvd players, televisions, game consoles, etc.
- A close second is personal items – jewelry, watches, luggage, keys, etc.
- Third is all money and related items – wallets, purses, loose cash and credit cards.
- Only 1 in 10 burglaries ever results in an arrest. It’s up to you to prevent the crime because your items are almost always gone forever.
- The majority of losses from burglaries are about the size of most people’s insurance deductible – $600-1000 – so don’t pretend insurance will cover your losses.
The fact is it’s easy to become the home on the block that leaves something unlocked…
- The house settles a little and the window lock no longer latches quite right.
- Or that same settling causes the deadbolt that used to work just fine not to line up any more, so we stop using it.
- Sometimes one door has multiple locks that take more than one key and rather than getting frustrated, we get lazy and leave things unlocked.
- And frankly the sliding glass door lock never has worked quite right so it hasn’t been locked in years.
The question to ask is whether you want to be part of the 57% that gets taken advantage of, or whether you want to take charge and make your home safe and secure for your family.
- Tune-up your door locks
The number one reason door locks don’t get used is because they don’t work for the people who use them.Let our trained technicians recondition your door hardware, replacing workout parts and lubricating critical mechanisms. And if you use multiple keys to open one door, let us simplify your life by slimming down your key ring. We’ll have your doors working right and your family safe soon.
- Upgrade to high security door hardware
All locks were not created equal. If you want to know that your family is safe from high force entries, lock picking, key bumping and all the other vulnerability those locks from the big box stores will leave you open to, we’ve got multiple solutions for you. Upgrade to hardened hardware from Medeco, Assa and others, and take total control over your security. today.
- Make all window and Patio Door locks functional
Sometimes factory window and door locks are adequate and can be restored to working condition with a little work. Often times, though, these ‘builder grade” devices are easily bypassed. In these situations, we offer a full line of auxiliary locks and security pins to harden and secure your installation.
- Check out our selection of Safes
Remember above where we said that some of the most popular burglary items were cash equivalents and other small items. Our goal thus far has been to secure your home and keep the bad guys out. But just in, lock up all the good stuff so they can’t get to it!
- Lock up your electronic equipment
While you can’t put your television in a safe, many electronic devices today have Kensington-compatible slots you can use to secure your device. A little extra thwarting never hurt a burglar, we always say…
So call us today to audit all your door, window, and patio door locks to make sure they’re in excellent working order. Then make sure to use them every time you leave your house to keep your family happy, safe, and secure.