While locks and keys are still the most popular avenue to attempt to protect property, they have their shortcomings:
- Most keys can be duplicated by anyone, creating little control over who actually has access to secure areas.
- There is no way to monitor who uses a key in any given lock, providing no traceability in the event of loss.
- In the event a key is lost or stolen, it can cost hundreds or even thousands of dollars to re-secure the facility by rekeying and reissuing keys. This expense must be incurred every time a key is lost or stolen or security quickly deteriorates.
- There is little system flexibility – the key system must be expertly designed by a professional locksmith based on the input of users. If use of the system changes such that one user needs unanticipated access to a room or area, overly broad access is often granted, or the locksmith must return to re-engineer the system at significant expense.
- Access cards or token cannot be duplicated at all. they must be specifically enrolled into the access control system.
- Controlling the system and adding/removing tokens is easy. It is often done by office managers or a designated IT person.
- The system records every interaction of every access card with the system – every door opening, every elevator access, every cabinet entry. There are numerous accounts of solving thefts and crimes based on the data provided by access control systems.
- If an access token is lost or stolen, it is simply disabled. There is no expense involved, and no sleepless nights. A new token can be immediately issued without delay.
- If system use changes, access can be changed on the fly. Access can be controlled based on roles (“Executive” vs. “Cleaning Crew”) as well as based on access to individual area (e.g. Room 103).
What many people don’t realize is the “Access Control” means much more than “access.” Access control systems can integrate with and extend to a variety of other systems, including:
- Video surveillance
- Fire and Life Safety systems
- Building Management Systems
- Vehicle Logistics
- Time and Attendance
- Through customization, any ODBC compliant database application
There simply is no more affordable way to gain control and flexibility than through Millenium Access Control Systems. Contact us today to learn more.